Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Friends

THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME AND MY BEST FRIEND

This is so weird, but today I have come to the conclusion that I have missed out. I do facebook and I have reconnected with tons of people. Some I didn't know so much and others I knew well, but lost contact. With some of the people I bump into on facebook I realize I wish I still knew them or that they were my next door neighbor. Through conversing I feel like I know them better now than I ever did. I had them in my grasp at one point in my life and I let them go. Well some of the times I let them go were because I moved away, or they moved away. Are these feelings I am having because I am lonely? I did move recently. When I get ripped away from what is familiar. Is that when I realize what I have lost?

This reminds me of this poem...


Around the corner I have a friend

In this great city that has no end;

Yet days go by and weeks rush on,

And before I know it a year has gone;

And I never see my old friend's face,

For life is a swift and terrible race.


He knows I like him just as well,

As in the days when I rang his bell,

And he rang mine. We were younger then;

But now we are busy, tired men...

Tired with playing a foolish game;

Tired with trying to make a name.


"Tomorrow," I say, "I'll call on Jim,

Just to show that I'm thinking of him."

But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes;

And distance between us grows and grows.

Around the corner...yet miles away.

"Here's a telegram, sir"... Jim died today;

And that's what we get, and deserve in the end

Around the corner, a vanished friend

-Charles Hanson Towne


I hope I can realize what I have while I have it , and find those relationships that I have lost with others in the friends I have now. Or... I can just have my dream come true and have them all move to one area and I would be surrounded by them.
Jeff is my best friend and I have not lost him! My family matters more to me than friends. But it still is important to have a few friends.

7 comments:

  1. I love that poem and I love your blog! I saw on Facebook that you had one so I decided to check it out.

    I feel the same way at times; feeling sad because I have had people in my life that I had the chance to be friends with, but didn't take it or appreciate the opportunity for what it was. Or I become distanced from friends that I had, even very good friends, and I wish I could go back in time and take the time to savor the moments we had. I think maybe we just don't realize the value of what we have until we don't have it anymore.

    Wow, how philosophical we sound!

    P.S. I added you to my blogroll, hope that's ok! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you megan! See, you are one I wish I had gotten to know, and I know you more now than I did when you lived just a hop and a skip away.
    I will add you as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the happy wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Jeff. Gina, you are a good person and my best friend. I don't know what I'd do without you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I loved your poem. I feel the same way about so many of my friends. I am so glad that you guys are my friends! I hope we can get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina! You're so awesome! And I love the rockin' song that comes on when I type up a comment. I'm dancin'!! I'll miss you, I really will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your picture.You guys are so cute together.

    ReplyDelete